Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Preparing Our Summer Garden

Every year, our family looks forward to the harvest from our garden. We love to bottle, freeze and best of all, eat the wonderful food we have grown. Last year, I had Aaron build several beds that we could grow tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, zuccini, bell peppers, peas, etc... We even have a strawberry patch and a wonderful herb garden. Yes, I make jam and bottled salsa. Call me crazy!

I also grew up in the lower south where parents belived that if you were going to watch TV in the summer, you had better be doing something!!! I have shelled many hampers of beans and peas, not to mention creamed truck loads of corn. All of which, I hated as a youth, but have come to really appreciate the valuable lessons that I learned. And for those of you who are wondering what a hamper is...you can google it or ask me!

My girls seem to appreciate the garden much more than I did growing up. The girls always have fun helping their dad till the soil. I mean, who needs a tiller when you have 6 kids right? So, while Grandma and Grandpa Jones were here, the family spent a few hours preparing the soil.

I can't wait to post pictures of how our garden will grow.



1 comment:

De Anne said...

I commend you for motivating your children and husband into working in the garden. If you find that the fruits of your labors are more than your family can eat, we'll help. I'd also like to learn to can if you'd let me come learn.